Good morning! If you live in the United States, you’re probably still amazed at how Tom Brady won yet another Super Bowl at the quarterback position. And he did it in his 40s! Tom Brady will undoubtedly be remembered in history as being one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.
While “my team” is not the Buccaneers (sorry Tom), I love seeing people accomplish extraordinary goals. So what does Tom Brady have to do with setting goals the S.M.A.R.T. way? Let me explain.
- According to Oxford, a Goal is defined as: the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
Everyone has ambitions and is aiming for “some thing,” but sadly not many people will reach their goal(s). It’s not because they aren’t smart enough and it isn’t that they aren’t talented enough. They may even use all of their energy and resources to reach their desired result, however if the underlying strategy to attain their goal is “OFF” then the results will also be “OFF.”
Now let’s look at what’s needed for an ordinary goal to be considered a S.M.A.R.T. goal. It must be:
- Time-Bound (or Time-Based)
In a nutshell, it’s having a strategy to support your dreams. If you want to get from Point A to Point B you can’t just “hope” to get there, you have to outline a strategic plan to help you get to the correct destination in the time you’ve determined to be appropriate.
If we relate this back to Tom Brady we can see how winning a Super Bowl was a S.M.A.R.T. goal.
- Specific – To win Super Bowl LV in Tampa Bay FL (notice the LV)
- Measurable – To accomplish this win, we must outscore the opponent in that final game.
- Attainable – To reach this goal, we must be victorious over every team that stands in the way of this goal in the regular season first, then in the games to follow.
- Relevant – If the Buccaneers win with me (Tom Brady), everyone will crown me the G.O.A.T.
- Time-Bound – Super Bowl takes places on February 7, 2021.
Now let’s get back to our good friend Aaron, an artist who has already defined his “Why” and has learned how to “Stay Focused” by eliminating distractions by identifying, delegating and prioritizing. He already stated that he wants to focus on putting out more music in 2021. This is his goal, but right now it sounds more like a wish because he hasn’t taken the time to really unpack it. To make this goal a S.M.A.R.T goal, Aaron can lay it out like this:
- Specific – I want to put out one 3-song EP each month for one year.
- Measurable – I will write and record at least one song per week and release the EP in week 4. Reaching my goal looks like having all three songs and the cover art completed by Week 3.
- Attainable – I’ve budgeted and booked the first quarters studio time with a local studio and gave them advanced notice that I intend to book each quarter for similar projects. (Tip: If you record yourself, schedule and book studio time with yourself. Find creative ways to reward (pay) yourself).
- Relevant – This goal directly aligns with my long-term objective of impacting others with my music by sharing my story as an overcomer of hardships and difficulty.
- Time-Bound – I will reach my goal at the end of each month and ultimately have 12 completed EPs in a years’ time.
Wow!! How much more is Aaron likely to reach his goal of releasing more music now that he’s outlined his S.M.A.R.T goals vs just stating his goal (aim or ambition)? He’s well on his way!
What are your goals? How do you intend to make them S.M.A.R.T goals?
Thanks for reading! I’ve linked a video below that outlines the best way to get started setting S.M.A.R.T goals. Also, stay tuned for the fourth productivity tip coming soon.
Until next time, have a great day and keep making your best music!
How Can I Help You Reach Your Goals?
I put together services that I believe will help you reach your goals as a musicians. I offer two custom hook services for artists and producers, collaborations for producers and instrumentals/beats for recording artists. If you have a service need that’s not listed below, please reach out and let me know how I may be able to help you!